Gulfstream Continues to Invest in GIV and GV Aircraft Families
SAVANNAH, Georgia — In the last four years, Gulfstream Aerospace Corp. has added a significant number of innovative options to modernize its iconic GIV and GV aircraft families, which are approaching their 30th and 20th years in service, respectively. The enhancements and upgrades to the GIV, GIV-SP and GV preserve their functionality, satisfy NextGen regulatory mandates and keep them among the most productive business jets in the industry.
“We have an ongoing commitment to our customers to continue investment in these aircraft,” said Derek Zimmerman, president, Gulfstream Product Support, prior to the opening of the National Business Aviation Association’s Business Aviation Convention & Exhibition in Orlando, Florida. “They are two of the most reliable and capable business jet families ever built. Of the more than 2,500 Gulfstream aircraft in service worldwide, more than 700 are GIVs, GIV-SPs and GVs. We continue to develop products to enhance their technology and safety.”
The latest upgrades to the GIV/GV families have been in four main areas: flight deck, cabin management, connectivity and interiors/exteriors. Highlights in each are as follows:
Flight Deck Enhancements
- Automatic Dependent Surveillance – Broadcast Out: This mandated avionics upgrade generates aircraft position information with greater accuracy and reliability.
- CD-830 Control Display Units: The plug-and-play units offer full touchscreen functionality with better visibility.
- Future Air Navigation System (FANS 1/A+): Gulfstream’s integrated system replaces voice communication with digital communication and provides automatic aircraft position reporting. These avionics are required by the major regulatory authorities.
- FANS Over Iridium: This unit enables data connectivity over the Iridium satellite communications network, allowing for FANS communication in remote coverage areas.
- FMZ-2000 FMS 6.1: This software upgrade to the original flight management system reduces pilot workload, enhances safety and provides time-saving features and high-precision approaches.
- Kollsman GAViS: The addition of an external camera allows for improved situational awareness at night and in low-visibility conditions, along with enhanced imagery of airports, air traffic, taxiways and runway conditions.
- LED Lighting: These lamps enhance flight-deck reliability and reduce maintenance costs.
- PlaneDeck: This retrofit replaces the original cathode ray tube primary flight displays with sharper, more reliable and vivid liquid crystal displays. It increases situational awareness for safety and adds integrated charts, XM weather and video input from the external cameras.
- PlaneDeck Synthetic Vision: This option enhances the situational awareness of the flight crew by creating a 3D color image of terrain, obstacles and runways.
- TCAS 7.1: The Traffic Alert Collision and Avoidance System software brings significant safety improvements to the flight crew.
Cabin Connectivity/Management Enhancements
- Satcom Direct Router: This router integrates with any satcom to manage cabin communications, run software apps and connect to cellular networks.
- UCS 5000: The all-in-one smart router and media server provides access to Gogo Vision, which delivers regularly updated on-demand movies and television shows to passengers’ personal electronic devices.
- SD-600 Obsolescence: The SD-600 satcom data unit installed in more than 400 GIV/GV family aircraft was discontinued. Gulfstream’s solution is to replace the multi-channel satellite systems that include the SD-600 with MCS-7120.
Gulfstream also offers GIV, GIV-SP and GV operators interior and exterior enhancements, including cabin refurbishment such as re-upholstered seats, new carpeting and in-flight entertainment systems, exterior LED lighting and exterior paint.
GIV/GV family enhancements and upgrades can be completed at Gulfstream’s company-owned service centers worldwide. These facilities are located in Savannah and Brunswick, Georgia; Westfield, Massachusetts; Appleton, Wisconsin; Las Vegas; Long Beach, California; Dallas; West Palm Beach, Florida; Luton England; Sorocaba, Brazil; and Beijing.
NOTE TO EDITORS
Gulfstream Aerospace Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), designs, develops, manufactures, markets, services and supports the world’s most technologically advanced business-jet aircraft. Gulfstream has produced more than 2,500 aircraft for customers around the world since 1958. To meet the diverse transportation needs of the future, Gulfstream offers a comprehensive fleet of aircraft, comprising the Gulfstream G280TM, the Gulfstream G450TM, the Gulfstream G550TM, the Gulfstream G500TM, the Gulfstream G600TM, the Gulfstream G650TM and the Gulfstream G650ERTM. Gulfstream also offers aircraft ownership services via Gulfstream Pre-Owned Aircraft SalesTM. We invite you to visit our website for more information and photos at www.gulfstreamnews.com.